Re: NANFA-- Quantative Sampling?

Todd Crail (farmertodd_at_buckeye-express.com)
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 22:29:30 -0400

They're hypothesizing that the dam prevents certain species that used to
migrate the up this stream have been prevented from doing such (walleye,
white bass, pike, drum, gar, suckers). They would like to see what fauna
exist above and below the dam in all water stage condition. The student
feels the species can only make passage in extreme conditions when the river
is at such a stage that the dam is submerged under water level, and this has
prevent many species from utitlizing an otherwise fine stream nursery.

To test this extreme condition, they felt that sampling the floodplains
adjacent above and below during flooding might lend an insight into who is
where when and why. This section of stream used to be nice rocky, trickling
brook with intact floodplains. However, someone got the idea to dump the
University of Toledo and the Village of Ottawa Hills right in around all
this... So, you know... The usual story... But I'll not villanize them...
You should see it 6 miles further downstream where it runs right by the old
Jeep plant. Yikes. Can you say mercury and arsenic bath?

We already discussed a bit about how stream quality increases the further
you go upstream... We're going to work around all of that and help his
student understand that non-point specific pollution is *really* the factor
she might hone in on, but more of that later... I wouldn't be abhorrent to
her getting attention to remove that stinkin' dam anyway :)

Channelized... When I say channelized, I'm talking about attempting to
straighten and deepen the stream channel so water is more contained to the
streambed in heavy flow periods (as little to do with flood plains as
possible), and is rushed out of there as quickly as possible.

Famous examples would be the Mississippi through southern Louisiana or what
they call the Los Angeles "River".

Thanks for your questions and interest guys :)

Todd