Re: NANFA-- two local goose stories

Tom Watson (onefish2fish_at_attbi.com)
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 21:12:10 -0700

This is a serious problem in the Seattle (WA) area. These are resident
geese and ducks, not migraters. Canada Geese and mallards used to migrate
through our area. Now many have become resident because there are no
predators.

It is legal to shoot these guys during hunting season in hunting areas.
There are no legal hunting areas where these birds congregate.

It is now illegal to feed waterfowl in King county Washington. If they were
forced to find their own feed, they would move on. This prohibition is not
enforced or respected because many people feel that feeding the birds is
their "contact with nature". I challenged a friend who manages a county
park and he said "this is as close as some children will ever come to
wildlife."

The birds congregate in parks and other places where there is enough "free
food" and "turnover" in visitors that the birds destruction might be
challenged by someone.

The situation described in the article is rare. The birds only pose a
threat to the very young and the infirm. The real problem is pollution. I
mean poop pollution. They are big and they poop big. To humans the effect
is "swimmers itch". To the rest of the ecosystem (mostly fishy type
swimmers) it's just plain poison. In an natural environment they would face
predators. Here they can poop on anything.

For the last 4 years, the county has had a program to reduce the population
of geese. Because of intervention of animal rights advocates, the birds
cannot be killed. Instead they are transported to Montana. I don't know
what the Montanans do with them (can you guess?).

Most people feed these guys with bread. The primary ingredient of bread is
grain. A grain fed goose or duck can taste pretty good. I say sell permits
to harvest these pests. Fills the coffers and the belly.

Tom