RE: NANFA-- Building cheap fish containers

Denkhaus, Robert (Robert.Denkhaus_at_fortworthgov.org)
Sat, 9 Aug 2003 15:16:40 -0500

Mark,

To the best of my knowledge the only 3-way 90 degree fittings that are
available are PVC. These fittings are made for making PVC lawn furniture and
are a bit thicker and stiffer than normal PVC fittings (Schedule 20 and
Schedule 40). The problem is that they are also more expensive than normal
fittings and not as strong as metal. The strength issue could be solved by
filling the entire frame structure with cement and letting it set up. I would
recommend using mortar mix so that you won't have gravel in the mix. You
could also add a bit of strength by slipping pieces of rebar into the pipes
before assembly.

Another suggestion that I just thought of...since it appears that you aren't
looking to create anything that is very deep and won't have a lot of pressure
pushing outward...you could just use rebar for your frame. Assuming that you
don't have access to a welder, the frame could be constructed using wire ties
like those that are used to tie steel together when pouring concrete footers
and such. If you made a prototype that was wired together and liked it, it
may be worth finding someone to weld future ones together for you. To keep
the abrasive surface of the rebar from cutting the liner material, the rebar
could be wrapped in pipe insulation (the cylindrical stuff with a slit down
the length) and then wrapped in duct tape. Not pretty but fairly cheap and
functional I would think.

Rob Denkhaus
Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge