RE: NANFA-- Native fish program

Denkhaus, Robert (DenkhaR_at_Ci.Fort-Worth.TX.US)
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:07:51 -0600

My "outline" is really a 29 slide powerpoint presentation. In order of
topic covered, the presentation includes:

- Why native fish?
- Tank selection (overall size, depth vs surface area)
- Water (tap vs natural sources)
- Pumps and filters
- Substrates (I encourage using local gravel from around here rather than
purchased aquarium gravel)
- Lighting (types, amounts)
- Plants (local native species, hints relative to substrate and lighting)
- Temperature issues
- Feeding native fish
- Some appropriate aquarium species found in north central Texas (I divided
this up into "Smaller fishes that stay small", "Medium sized fish", and "Too
big fish")
- Some appropriate invertebrate species found in NC Texas (includes insects,
crustaceans, and mollusks)
- Collecting native fish and invertebrates (included despriptions and
examples of seines, dipnets, castnets, etc., transporting your catch, and a
heavy dose of getting to know the aquatic system that you are trying to
simulate)
- Collecting regulations and ethics (stressing licenses, conservation, and
not releasing captives - including exotics - into the natural system)

- Not included in the powerpoint but discussed in the program was a variety
of the available reference materials including field guides and websites.

Obviously, 2 hours isn't enough time to go in depth into any particular
topic so some were just briefly covered.

Rob Denkhaus
Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge