Re: NANFA-- update on big fish kill in Indiana

CEFCHURCH_at_aol.com
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 22:33:25 EST

In a message dated 1/2/00 8:55:10 PM US Central Standard Time,
whimbrel_at_home.com writes:

<< > On the news the other evening, the main suspect held a press conference
and
> stated it was not them. If it turns out to be them, I hope they double the
> fines.

Historically, how effective has this fining system been
around the country, not just for fish kills but for other
environmental disasters? Does anyone know?

I hear Exxon is still appealing their fine, and how long
ago did that happen??! Sigh! >>

Once the proven culprit is identified, it would be interesting to see all the
local conservation organizations do some high profile demonstrating at their
location if they show any hesitancy at all making things right. Maybe get
Nature Conservancy, Sierra, Audubon, Friends of the White River, etc.
together on a common project. I am imagine they and others will have
increase their diligence if they get a lot of negative publicity.