Re: NANFA-- update on big fish kill in Indiana

Shireen Gonzaga (whimbrel_at_home.com)
Sun, 02 Jan 2000 22:59:25 -0500

CEFCHURCH_at_aol.com wrote:

> Once the proven culprit is identified, it would be interesting to see all the
> local conservation organizations do some high profile demonstrating at their
> location if they show any hesitancy at all making things right. Maybe get
> Nature Conservancy, Sierra, Audubon, Friends of the White River, etc.
> together on a common project. I am imagine they and others will have
> increase their diligence if they get a lot of negative publicity.

Hope that happens. Keep us informed, Chuck. And thanks
for your updates--this has been a very sad and interesting
event to follow.

I suspects fines are just a slap on the wrist for many of
these multi-million or billion dollar corporations. They'll
just keep on paying and keep on polluting. But if I may
offer a solution, particularly in the case of manufacturing
companies and wastewater treatment plants: the CEOs of these
companies should be subject to random water tastings by law.
That's right. They need to drink a glass of whatever they
discharge. That should clean up our coastal waters, lakes,
rivers, and streams quite nicely.

- shireen