Re: NANFA-- Marine natives

Katrina kruse (underseavisions_at_attglobal.net)
Sun, 09 Jan 2000 12:31:20 -0800

Sea cucumbers are beautiful little blobs! When their tentacles are out (slipper
cucumbers - Psolus chitonoides) they look like they are licking their fingers when
they eat! In an aquarium it is hard to get them to have their tentacles out though
because they send them out in response to current. The plankton they eat are
carried in the water -- another hard thing to duplicate unless you blow live brine
across them via a little tube. The larger sea cucumbers (Parastichopus leukothele)
have an admirable trick of blowing their insides out their butt (only hole they
have) when threatened, and growing new insides! Neat trick! In Washington STate
they are bright orange, red or white -- nice little blobs for an aquarium although
hard to keep. katrina