RE: NANFA-- Regarding Praziquantel

Nick Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 07:07:18 -0500

Many critters that we deal with need to be dosed on multiple occasions for
just this reason. Eggs many times are not affected by a medication so it is
important to first know what you are dealing with, then second know the life
cycle of the organism you are trying to erradicate. Know your enemy, as
they say. Sometimes the drugs are not toxic to the bug itself, but they
interfere with essential functions such as reproduction. Using an
organophosphate for anchorworm as an example (dimilin or dylox for instance)
affects the bugs ability to molt, therefore stopping the bug in its life
cycle.

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo