RE: NANFA-- parasite removal

Nick Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 07:14:45 -0500

Generally speaking I would agree with you, however we are sort of creating a
situation where our fish are essentially being kept alive in a parasite
soup. In the wild, the bugs can scatter with currents etc, and there is
usually an unlimited supply of new water to dilute the concentration of bugs
to fish. In the aquarium, we are creating a condition where the bugs can not
disperse, therefore making it easier to find a host. We are giving the
parasite just what it wants, lots of chances to attach in a very small
amount of space. So, although there are stressors that can cause an
outbreak, they are sort of given the advantage by us, unintentionally. That
is why in a perfect world, we quarantine any and all new animals before they
go into our "exhibit" tanks. If the fish has some kind of "disease", we
take a swab, identify it under a scope, then treat accordingly to erradicate
it first. Of course, this is my idealism coming though again ;)

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
216.661.6500 ext 4485