Re: NANFA-- river reef

kahley (kahley7_at_ptd.net)
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 17:24:17 -0500

geoff and julie kimber wrote:

> cool pic.
>
> I had thought you mentioned the Susquehanna. I grew up in upstate NY in a
> small town on the Chenango River which empties into the Susquehanna at
> Bighamton, NY
>
> When I was a kid, the Susquehanna was incredibly polluted from inadequate
> sewage treatment. It looks like it has cleared considerably in the last 25
> years.

And from mine drainage and farm runoff but you are talking about what
we call the North Branch (the state insists that it's the Main Stem. OK..
so it's twice the volume of the West Branch but I insist on WB parity, at least!
If on no other grounds than clarity. As a child, the second rule i learned
about the Susquehanna was "No more than knee deep in the North Branch.
Is. is still nothing compared to the West. But....last fall, I happened to look
down while crossing the NB and made a remarkable discovery. I could see
the bottom.through several feet of water. I was so excited. The first words
out of my mouth as my husband came through the door was to tell him the news.
He looked at me as if I were crazy but had to concur when he saw for himself.
That degree of clarity has just never happened on the NB so even that must
be greatly improved. But that was not a normal condition (deep drought)and,
especially with the dam up, it's murky again.
The West Branch has always been much cleaner. On a calm day, you can
stand on the cliffs, hundreds of feet above the river and see the ledges and
the bottom, through six feet of water.
Hey...if you are ever headed up to NY, do a detour and I'll show you how nice
a big river can be <g>.