RE: NANFA-- Algae Eaters

geoff (gkimber2_at_alltel.net)
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:30:30 -0400

I have most problem with film algae (really cyanobacter) with my stream tank
that is full of darters and has no plants to mimic the streams around here.
Darters eat the ramshorn snails that I use in all my other tanks to keep
down the cyanobacter, and the stoneys don't really like it much, especially
once they get a taste of flake, frozen, and live food.

I end up just cleaning it up by hand when I do water changes.

I tried erythromycin this spring because the tank was just infested with
cyanobacter. Lost a whole bunch of fish when the cyanobacter died. Won't
do that again.

Probably the best thing to do is change the water frequently. You may run
into troubles if your water source is high in phosphates. If it is, you
might consider setting up a rain collection barrel. It wouldn't have to be
all that big for a 10 gallon tank.

Geoff Kimber
Lexington,KY

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanfa_at_aquaria.net On Behalf
Of Shane Graber
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2003 11:29 AM
To: 'nanfa_at_aquaria.net'
Subject: RE: NANFA-- Algae Eaters

Stoneroller's doing fine. Primarily right now it's film algae on the glass
and then I start getting some blackbrush on the rocks when I kick my second
set of lights on. I cut my lighting on my 10 gal to one 15 watt GE daylight
bulb as with both of them on I had a lot of problems with film and
blackbrush.

Shane