RE: NANFA-- Algae Eaters

geoff (gkimber2_at_alltel.net)
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:45:29 -0400

I have been paying close attention to hair algae because I seem to have a
real problem with it, especially in the winters in my tanks in the garage.
I can tell the difference between a whole several different species of
'hair' algae, and I bet that the varying reports of critters that eat hair
algae are dependant at least in part on the actual species of algae in
question.

For instance-

I have a nice, light green, medium strand length, free floating algae that
filled up a 10-gallon tank. literally. I moved it to the side and put 3
flagfish in it. within a couple of weeks, it was clean and the flagfish
were fat and sassy.

I also have a short strand length, medium green hair algae that attaches to
wood. Flagfish will not eat this.

Another tank has a dark green, fine strand hair algae that grows OK uner a
canopy of valnseria and tends to form clumps along the bottom of the tank.
Siamese algae eaters, amano shrimp, and flagfish will not eat this.

Another tank develops a very long strands (3 feet or so) that are medium
green. This only forms in cold water tanks when the temp is below 60
degrees or so. Stone rollers won't eat it. I just remove it by hand (Brrr)

Under the same conditions, in the same cold tanks, another hair algae
develops. This stuff is nasty. It is very dark green, short, coarse, and
slippery. Very unpleasant stuff. This stuff only grows in cold water and
nothing eats it.

When I lived in arizona, I once had some long hair algae that grew in higher
temps.

So you may not actually have something the flagfish think of as edible. Or,
maybe it is just growing faster than they can eat it.

Geoff Kimber
Lexington.KY