RE: NANFA-- Cold fish

Geoff Kimber (gkimber2_at_earthlink.net)
Wed, 23 May 2001 13:31:29 -0400 (EDT)

I have always thought about (but never attempted) a DIY hack with a small refrigerator.

I have thought that you could cut 2 holes in the refrigerator door (so you miss the coils) and run tubing from your tank, through the fridge in 1 hole and out the other and back to the tank. You'd probably want to coil the tuning in some sort of thermal mass inside the fridge, like a container of water.

in theory it should work, but you may run into energy efficiency and cost issues. Besides, I don't have an extra fridge that I can put holes into.

The beverage coller with sliding doors may be something to consider because you wouldn't need to cut holes - just slide one door open to accomodate the tubing. - just be sure to plug the rest of the opening up.

ANyway - just an idea.

Geoff Kimber
Lexington,KY

------Original Message------
From: Roselawn Museum <roselawn_at_mindspring.com>
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Sent: May 22, 2001 3:32:34 PM GMT
Subject: NANFA-- Cold fish

I know there have been several fairly recent threads about chillers. Since
the retail price for a chiller is out of my reach, I'm afraid I ignored
most of them. However, there is a man I know who may give me a refrigerated
beverage cooler large enough to put at least a 20gal tank in. It's the kind
with sliding doors. My questions are:

A. Is this machine suitable for keeping natives in?

B. What natives would be on a short list of neat fish that require cold water?

C. How does cold water affect plant life?

Thanks in advance for your help.

(Yes, Martin, I realize they will all probably die!)

Steven A. Ellis
Kennesaw, GA