RE: NANFA-- Brook silverside update

Geoff and Julie Kimber (gkimber2_at_earthlink.net)
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 19:07:34 -0600

When I kept silversides in Tucson, I fed them flake nearly exclusively. I
kept 14 of them in a 55 gallon tank with red river pupfish and 1 f.zebrinus.
They did really well for about a year. At one point in time (during the
winter), I had troubles with their normally translucent bodies turning
opaque. WHen this would happen, the fish would die within 24 hours. Since
the other occupants of the tank can tolerate (thrive in) straight saltwater
and even higher salinities, I added a bunch of sea-salt to bring the
specific gravity to 1.013. Everyone was happy and the silversides stopped
dying.

Over the next 6-8 weeks, I brought the salinity back to Tucson tap water,
which is very hard and has a fair amount of salt in it.

I also ran into problems with the fish bumping their noses on the side of
the glass. THey developed big bumps on their noses, although no fungus.

I did not notice more die-offs during warm weather- in fact, I lost more
fish during the winter.

I do think that keeping the fish in the water when they are in the net makes
a big difference. I would wonder if silversides are more susceptible to
heat injury while on the bank before getting into the buckets.

Geoff Kimber
Lexington,KY