Re: NANFA-- wet suits for cold weather collecting

Ray Ravary, Jr. (rravary_at_provide.net)
Thu, 05 Oct 2000 15:22:36 -0400

Chuck,

I've been scuba diving since 1975. Tips on wet suits- Used ones can be
purchased from your local dive shop. Also local dive clubs usually have a
newsletter and used equipment is usually offered within. Performance Diver a
diving catalog offers decent deals on new wet suits. Buy your wet suit so it fits
snuggly but not tight, you are kept warm by a thin film of water between you and
the inside of the suit. When moving in the suit find the middle ground between
1)ease and range of motion and 2)bubble or gaps formed between the skin and the
wet suit while moving. A wet suit you can't bend over or move your arms or legs
is useless. Big gaps under your armpit when you raise your arms allow cold water
to flood in. The same goes for your crotch and along the middle of your back, the
cold water will wake you right up. Look for a suit without wear, rips, and fraying
threads. This isn't as critical for collecting than if you are snorkling or
diving. Don't dispair rips and wear marks can be patched with wet suit cement and
patches. The best suits have a cloth inner and outer lining. Tights and
leotards(or pantyhose or nylons if you are confident of your masculinity) can be
wore underneath the suit. It will make getting in or out of the suit easier. If
the only option is a oversized wet suit a pair of sweats underneath will cut down
on the water moving through the wet suit. A pair of scuba boots in a pair of
oversized water socks will provide warm sure footing. Any questions drop me a
line.

R3