NANFA-- Re: exotics

Dave McNeely (dlmcneely_at_lunet.edu)
Mon, 07 Oct 2002 16:31:13 -0500

I guess I keep getting the comments from members objecting to the new
regulations because they feel that they are unfair to those who want to keep
members of the family Chanidae, most aquarist are responsible people who
would never release a non-native fish, and so on. Seems to me that we
should be for anything that would protect native fishes (and other native
wildlife). After all, there is precious little left. If I lived in China,
I sure would not want a bunch of aquarist to be bringing largemouth bass
into the country, even though they are interesting fish and display nicely
in aquaria. Like some snakeheads, they are good to eat, too.

If there is a way to make sure that only responsible aquarists aquire
species that are legally imported, and that the irresponsible rascals, all
of whom make sure to avoid joining any organizations, of course, cannot get
them, I have no idea what it might be.

> This is an issue which pops up repeatedly, because of the destructive
nature of exotics on our natives. Most NANFAns consider the