Re: NANFA-- Bluenose shiner news

anutej_at_loxinfo.co.th
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 04:16:57 +0700

Well, someone got to try breeding wekalas otherwise no one is breeding
them and when the bad time comes nothing can be done... I think
spotfin chub and a few madtoms are being bred and released back into
the wild for quite a while before some sign of success eventually [?]
show up, isn't it? Though imperfect breeding fish for eventually
release is still not such a bad idea. At least there would be
something in stock when the habitat gone bad [conservation sometimes
fails to stop development] and there is still hope left compared to
failing to conserve the habitat and has nothing left for restock...
And though fishes change over time in captivity, I guess some of them
may eventually revert back to something resemble the original fishes
if they are release back to habitat with the same limiting factors as
original habitat and manage to survive and spawn over time.

Despite difficulties at least in NANFA quite a few people [I bet more
than 5] are able to spawn many minnows and darters, and they have to
start keeping them first before gaing enough experience to be able to
breed them. Don't get me wrong: I think conserving the whole
habitat/ecosystem is good, but many times [especially in 3rd world]
"money" comes first and conservation oftens has to yield to "economy",
"business" and "development"... like drilling Alaska. In such case
having breeding program is not such a bad idea.

Tony