Re: NANFA-L-- Excellent collecting toy, and now a question for the elders

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Excellent collecting toy, and now a question for the elders
From: Todd D. Crail (tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Date: Mon Dec 27 2004 - 18:24:17 CST

Hi Mystery,

I think it depends most on the terms of use for the site. Do they have any
kind of information about that? Was there a secret handshake you had to
perform before becoming aware of the URL yourself?

As far as treachery resulting from you posting it... If you're worried about
the gang here, my experience is that NANFA folks _in general_ behave very
responsibly, even to the extent of leaving a generous buffer between "white"
and "gray". The NANFA gang is really low impact as a whole, and I've been
trying to woo folks in other groups (Govt and Academic) to take a lesson
from that.

As well, any information compiled by government agencies will be open to the
Freedom of Information Act, so they are responsible for making that
information available. So I would really consider the source of the
information.

That being said... As soon as you post it, it becomes part of the Google
Record, which I think is more permanent than anything above, because-in-some
point, the email will be archived on the NANFA website and sucked up by
their little mechanized algorithms scanning the Internet for more
information. Which is why I've never posted any exact information
concerning some of the Imperiled Honey Holes here in Ohio. I'd rather
personally meter how that information goes out.

Probably the best question to ask yourself is:

If the phone rings and the caller ID says "US GOVT", would the first thought
in your mind be that you'd posted a link on an email list?

If it is... I wouldn't post it.

Todd
The Muddy Maumee Madness, Toledo, OH
I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record.
http://www.farmertodd.com

: Sat Jan 01 2005 - 12:42:06 CST