NANFA-L-- Pre- Sipsey Adventure

Subject: NANFA-L-- Pre- Sipsey Adventure
From: Bob Culler (rangerbob-in-optidynamic.com)
Date: Fri Jul 30 2004 - 13:57:58 CDT

Hello All,

I hitched a ride with Casper for the Sipsey trip. On the way down, we
stopped off in Collinsville, AL for a bite to eat and a short snorkel with
some rainbow shiners. They were not real colored up, but still beautiful.
Casper had also hoped to see mountain shiners there. They are a TN drainage
fish that have made their way over into the Mobile drainage. None were seen
at that spot, though. Other fish we saw: AL hogsuckers, redhorse, Coosa
bass, bluegill, Mobile logperch, and several darters I don't remember.

After drying off, we headed on across the state to Double Springs in search
of a cheap motel for the night. We drove around the town some and ended up
driving behind the county courthouse where we got to see the inmates out in
the tiny exercise yard-in-the jail. We found out from a local that the only
motel close by was in Natural Bridge, just down the road. Talk about a
cheap motel! :) Not someplace I'll take my wife.

The next morning after breakfast, we headed over to see the namesake for
the community of Natural Bridge. It is located in a privately owned little
park. Beautiful area, but the streams there were a little too murky for
snorkeling. We found out from the owners that some logging in surrounding
lands the previous year had really clogged up the streams.

Later, we went to the picnic area on the Sipsey. I got to see a longear
sunfish nest that was chock full of eggs. Those longears were some of the
best looking I have seen in real life, too. Mostly orange with a greenish
head.

Next it was off to the campsite where we met up with Stott and Michael.
After setting up camp we were all ready for a dip in Borden Creek. As has
already been mentioned, we had a great time and ate like pigs (lots of
excellent mushrooms!).

After parting ways with Michael, Stott, and Dave Neely on Sunday morning,
Casper and I stopped off-in-a little roadside restaurant/gift shop/general
store for some buffalo burgers. We were planning to stop off-in-the Paint
Rock on the way home, but the thunderstorms chased us on up the road. Guess
that will have to wait for the next trip!

Ranger Bob
rangerbob-in-optidynamic.com
Upper TN R. Drainage
Kingsport, TN
"The power of humans to degrade the natural world is awesome; the
capability to reconstitute it later is mythical."

: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 12:21:37 CDT