RE: NANFA-- Harvesting Mosquito Larvae Question

Chip Rinehart (crin_at_glassmaster.com)
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 12:50:42 -0400

Mark,
I don't know how long for mosquito larvae to turn into adults but my method
for raising them is as follows:

1) I have 4 plastic drums - two 55-gal and two 35-gal
2) I fill one up with tap water (untreated) and leave the top off for 4
days.
3) After 4 days I put the top on.
4) Leave the top on for 6 days.
5) Before opening the top and harvesting any mosquito larvae, I will slosh
the drum around to drown any that have turned into adults.
6) I then harvest them over a three day period, putting the top back on
every day so no adults escape.
7) I start the drums on 2 day intervals.
*Note: With the tops on you don't have to worry about any insect spraying
having an effect on the larvae.

I also wind up with lots of bloodworms in the bottom as well as daphnia from
time to time. Many times I will age driftwood in these same drums so I get
double use out of them.

Chip